Sunday, February 12, 2006

Friendly Fire

A few opening notes. I took a political survey and apparently I align as a Centrist, socially moderate, and fiscally conservative.

I mention this because recently I have been asked why so many of my blogs seem to take a more conservative tone.

Aside from the fact that I *do* lean slightly off center to the right- and interestingly, off center may be the most accurate description of me I can think of, but I digress- aside from that, I think the reason I do tend to focus on the remarks of those more liberal is this: It seems to me that the more prominent conservatives spend a little less time thrashing the liberals because they are the party in power. Sure we have the Limbaughs and Coulters, but I am not just addressing pundits, I am talking about politicians here, and as they control the whole thing, they don't need to constantly be on the attack. The liberal politicians are a bit more inclined to go up against the conservative incumbents, so there is more fodder there, something the media enjoys sharing.

In my blogs, I honestly try to focus myself on the truth, regardless of partisan alignments. I don't always succeed, because, as I said, I admittedly do tend to lean slightly right.

So all I can say us that I will continue to post the honest thoughts as I come by them regardless, and I guess I will continue to uniquely me.

I just wanted to clear that up.

Having said that, Dick Cheney is an idiot.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/02/12/D8FNRALG0.html

Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot and wounded a companion during a weekend uail hunting trip in Texas, spraying the fellow hunter in the face and chest with shotgun pellets.

Harry Whittington, a millionaire attorney from Austin, was "alert and doing fine" in a Corpus Christi hospital Sunday after he was shot by Cheney on a ranch in south Texas, said Katharine Armstrong, the property's owner.

(I will not make a lawyer joke, I will not make a lawyer joke...)

OK, joking aside, I proclaim the idiocy of the vice president because as an experience hunter, he should know better. Sure, accidents happen and all that, but honestly, hunting accidents like this are typically caused by carelessness. They are very fortunate this was only a minor injury, such is not always the case.

But, and here is where the above disclaimer becomes relevant, it was an accident, and nothing more. That is the plain truth. But depite that, the press and pundits will undoubtedly have a field day...In fact they already are.

First we had Howard Dean likening him to Aaron Burr. Here is the transcript where Dean accuses him of authorizing the CIA leaks, and calls for his resignation, or kind of...He actually called for the president to resign. http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/face_021206.pdf The irony here is obvious, because the historians will note that while Aaron Burr was eventually tried for treason (he was acquitted), he was also notable for shooting and killing Alexander Hamilton in a dual. Interestingly I think he made these comments before the accident, another point of irony.

Goldy at Horsesass.org was quick to pounce on the shooting similarity. While his post was brief, he did make this interesting comment:
Why the AP assumes the shooting was accidental, I don't know.
Well, maybe, just maybe, it was an accident?

I mean honestly, yes it was an ignorant accident, but it was still just an accident. Trying to draw a correlation between Burr and Cheney for treason as well as for being gun toting thugs may be pushing it. Likewise, insinuations that it was deliberate are similarly useless.

But I don't expect common sense to intrude too far in this. Time will tell...More on this later, I am sure.