Thursday, February 16, 2006

Baa Baa Humbug....

As seen at Michelle Malkin, WND and Sister Toldjah

Let me say up front that as a veteran, I take affronts to the military fairly serious. I can accept the anti war stuff as being more about the concept of war itself, and that's fine, but when a person is defamed personally, it bothers me, perhaps more then it does others. People like Cindy Sheehan particularly irritate me.

I was just a lowly Air Force Mechanic, so I claim no heroism or particular acts of bravery. My job wasn't glorious, it was rather mundane. I have a couple small medals to my credit, all that I earned for continued service rather then particular acts of bravery.

The military is a large machine with huge levels and infrastructures and the logistics they overcome on a daily basis are amazing, so any one any capacity who serves, serves the ones who are in the front lines, in the fights, and the ones who brave the most danger.

So when I look at a genuine war hero, someone who has served with above ordinary distinction, someone who wears the nations highest honors, I feel humbled and proud that I served along side then in spirit, even if it was not side by side with them under fire.

And when they are snubbed, I take it as a personal affront. Maybe I shouldn't. But our history has had wars, and in those wars certain individuals have risen to the top as persons of distinction, as heroes. We should honor our heroes whenever we can.

At issue was a resolution introduced at the University of Washington, to honor UofW alumnus Col Gregory "Pappy" Boyington with a plaque to honor his distinction.

Pappy Boyington is a cultural icon in many ways since his legendary exploits in the Pacific during WW2 spawned a television show call Baa Baa Black Sheep.

The real Pappy Boyington had 26 kills in WW2, was a POW for 20 months, and was awarded the nations highest military honor, The Medal of Honor.

What should have been a no brainer took back seat to the anti war sentiments of a few people in the student government. And even here I would normally not be surprised, for most modern universities have a strong anode war undercurrent. What pissed me off about this one case is a couple of the reasons why the resolution was opposed.

One standout speaker against the resolution was Ashley Miller, who noted that "many monuments at UW already commemorate rich white men." Boynington who was hardly rich and 1/4 native American would have been rather surprised by that classification.

Another person who actively opposed it was Jill Edwards, who tried to table the motion and failed, then questioned "whether it was appropriate to honor a person
who killed other people". Its war, that's what people do in wars...

Karl Smith proposed an amendment to strike any mention of how many aircraft he had shot down. Again, that's part of what made him such a digitizing person.

But Jill came up with the silliest comment I can think of:

She said she didn't "believe a member of the Marine Corps was an example of the sort of person UW wanted to produce."

To me that epitomizes the worst of the anti war movement. Without marines like Boyington who sacrificed their lives for freedom, she wouldn't be able to have the freedom to make her trite little insults.

Have these spolied little children been tot he Arizona Memorial in Hawaii? Have they stood on the memorial to see the battleship lying under the surface, knowing it is the tomb of men who died in their service of the country?

Maybe I am too hoo-rah about the military, but you know what? I don't care. That's part of my freedom too.

All in all, I am disgusted and dismayed.

Maybe we should be asking the schools "What are you teaching our kids?"